"From strategy to reality - A TSO shows the roadmap leading to
a wind based future -"
The European Power System is currently undergoing substantial changes,
which cause important challenges, e.g.:
- shift of primary resources towards more Renewables, (EU "202020"
- closer international cooperation within the framework of ENTSO-E (3rd
- new technical developments offering promising perspectives.
However, European TSOs' challenges are partly similar, partly different
due to historical, geographical and political framework conditions.
the detailed program for download here [PDF, 16 KB].
The Danish TSO looks into a future with:
- being a direct neighbour to a gigantic new North-Sea "generator"
with smoothened, but variable output. In 2030, 40-80 GW North-Sea offshore
wind farms (present Danish peak load: 6,3 GW) will possibly be interconnected
by an offshore grid and are expected to cover an important part of the
European demand. Energinet.dk has the responsibility of developing transmission
and system solutions for integration of the Danish part of the offshore
- Denmark being independent of fossil-fuels within 2050 - focusing on
wind energy as main resource.
- Denmark changing present over-head lines into high voltage cables
- being located between Nordic hydro-based systems and Continental thermal
systems. which also undergo substantial changes. High transits are expected
to continue thus exploiting the benefits of both market regions. Suitable
market designs are required.
- Large numbers of dispersed production units and price responding consumers
being located on lower voltage levels - calling for smart solutions
and new division of responsibilities between TSOs and DSOs.
Challenges both, from regional as well as from time-horizon perspectives
have to be tackled across all voltage levels. The Danish TSO has to develop
today's power system for tomorrow's requirements - ensuring at any time
reliable supply and high quality products, fitting international requirements.
Preparation for the future is relying on three main measures:
- a strong transmission system,
- flexibility of energy systems and
- Smart Grids.
During the ENDK day it will be shown, which tools, ideas and concepts
are used. The range from specific innovative prototype projects today
up to concepts for 2050 will be covered. Technical solutions facilitating
a power system based on 50% wind power will be demonstrated.
The program will elaborate on the following subjects:
- Multi-terminal VSC offshore infrastructure - first prototype in the
- Cabling the Danish HV system - why and how.
- Balancing a power system dominated by wind power - seen from three
perspectives: market, operation and planning
- Smart Grid solutions facilitating large scale wind power integration
in a market driven environment, e.g. ancillary services from wind power
or the "prosumer"
- Secure data communication
The Energinet.dk day will include interactive debates with participants
on the presented issues.